The Crystal Cave
I am going to look down today instead of up. Just last week, there was an expedition to the Crystal Cave of Giants in Niaca, Mexico. This cave was discovered in 2000 and contains some spectacular crystallized gypsum.
You can see that they aren’t kidding. The suit is due to the fact that it is hot and humid in there…112 F (50C ) and 90% humidity. You don’t want to hang out there long without a cooling suit. The crystals are up to 11 meters long and weight up to 55 tons.
This is not exactly my field, so I will let you read the account of the journey and see the other pictures. National Geographic has a nice story summarizing how they formed as well.
No comments yet.
- Stars Over The Moonlit Desert
- Moon Dogs In Tucson
- A View of the Lunar Eclipse From Tucson
- Perseid in Hawaii
- The Crescent Moon, Mars and Mercury
- April 4th Lunar Eclipse
- Jupiter and the Full Moon and a Quick Timelapse
- Come Lovejoy From Kitt Peak
- Quick Comet Lovejoy Pics
- A Colorful Sunset Animation
- More On Comet Lovejoy